Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Post-apocalyptic

Well, this was a fun semester. Andaming nangyari, andaming nakasama. It's been a fun college experience as a whole. A whole 4 years ever since graduating high school and entering the "college life" chapter.


This semester was very exhausting. Not that I can blame anyone for it. I've been an avid practitioner of procrastination although I'm not really proud of it, I am quite adept at it. Academics and Deadlines decided it was time I realized this. At the start, it was still as before. I can still afford to take it easy. But then, before I knew it, there was just this wall of deadlines were just set so fast and so dangerously close to each other.


It's because of this semester that I realize now where I'm lacking. At first, I'd say it would be down to prioritization and efficient time management, but there's more to them. To me, they seem more like mere branches from a tree. Follow them to their roots and there lies what's more important: my self-discipline is lacking.



At first, I wanted to talk and reminisce here about the first days of college, the experiences from then on, etc. Then I realized, that would take a longer time to this complete this post. I'm not motivated enough to spend some time every day to complete a post (well, not yet anyway). That, and I have half a dozen animes on queue that I want to watch/re-watch.  Yeah, napaka-productive ko ngayong bakasyon.

So instead of that, I'll just make a bulleted list of what college was like. Upcoming freshmen, take note of these.


  •  On the first days, everyone is just as nervous/excited as you are. Don't sweat it. Keep calm and find your room.
  • Bring everything necessary like pens, and ESPECIALLY YOUR REGISTRATION FORMS/IDs. This was capitalized, bolded and reddened for emphasis. You can survive a whole day with no hassle without notebooks. Probably even so without pens. But never without your papers/IDs.
  • It's not entirely the subject's fault if it's boring or if you can't seem to grasp the lessons in it. Most of the time, it's a teacher issue.
  • Comparatively, high school teachers are more caring and concerned than college professors. However, that doesn't mean cold and heartless educators. Just expect less negotiable teachers. 
  • College is a higher level of education than high school. Expect to have some mind-blowing stuff thrown at you on the first lectures.
  • When assignments/projects are assigned, try to finish them ASAP. That way, you'll have time to focus on those sudden projects that seem to come out of nowhere.
  • Professors have this mysterious, innate ability to set deadlines on reflex that coincide with at least two other professors' deadline. Don't be surprised. Use negotiation skills. Tread carefully.
  • To go or not to go? That is your question. You have acquired a number of tolerable absences or commonly known as, "kung ilang absent ang pwede". Use them with wisely. 
  • For long-term projects like your thesis: If you want to get it done fast, pick your members by ability. If you want to get it done efficiently, pick them by chemistry. If you want to get it done to test your abilities, pick them however or whoever you want.
  • Do more than what is expected. You'll feel more accomplished that way.
  • Money is a scarce resource. Especially if you can't go too far from school grounds and have to get back to class in a couple hours, and have no hand-held means to entertain yourself. 
  • Your friends are your eating buddies, partners in crime, joke audience, wingmen, and a lot of other things. But never forget that they are, in fact, your FRIENDS. Don't be ashamed to ask for help from them. And help them out, too, when the time comes.
  • No matter what happens, the things you experience everyday as a college student will shape you for how you will face the incoming days.
  • "4 years (or more, in some courses) is a long while", you'll probably say. Wag masyadong relax, men. 4 years will pass by faster than you think. Next thing you know, you'll wake up at 8 in the morning and realize you've already finished the graduation ceremony last night. 


Ah, that's one good trip to memory lane.


As of now, I plan to relax for a while. Pahinga muna. With everything that's just happened, I don't want to go into the labor force just yet. If I go in there, there's no turning back now. I just wanna release all the stress first and live for a while, before heading back to welcome stress again. I like to think of it as my last summer vacation. My last LONG summer vacation.

This pahinga won't just be me lazing around. Of course I'm getting ready to go into the corporate world. I want to improve my skills and learn some new ones on a comfortable pace. That way, I can really feel the knowledge sink in. I'll also do some company research during this time.

I'll also work on that self-discipline problem during this time. Hopefully, I find something that will help me gain more of it back. Yeah, something active and exciting. Like martial arts or something. 


I guess, that's everything. Nothing really left to say now. 



No comments:

Post a Comment